Power Plant Smokestack Telecom Antenna Installation
How do you bolt a 6-ft antenna to a 258-ft-high smokestack catwalk in windy conditions with a crew of two?
What was the challenge?
Our recurring client presented one of the most challenging extreme heights jobs. New York City was installing 13 EMT antennas around Manhattan and other boroughs to ensure fully redundant overlapping coverage of local emergency services bandwidth to remain operational even if some towers went down. One of the antennas was being installed on the power plant smokestacks in Queens. Earlier, the client hired Alpha Platforms’ 250-ft boom lift to run up all cables and set up connections on one of the smokestacks. With connections ready, the EMT antenna installation was scheduled.
- The power plant facing the East River is surrounded by open fields, making it one of the windiest areas around. The client needed a height access solution that provided a smooth and steady work platform at between 258 and 300 ft in height, despite persistent gusty winds of 25+ mph.
- Using ropes or cranes to lift fragile and expensive antennas at this height would pose a significant risk of damaging the antenna or smokestacks in windy conditions.
- The antenna was being installed on a part of the smokestack that was outside of the plant perimeter. In a previous case study, we demonstrated how our 250-ft boom lift squeezed into the plant’s tiny parking spot between the pipes and utilities.
- This time, we had to park on the access road outside the plant and extend the boom with some side reach to the smokestack catwalk at almost 260 ft.
What was the solution?
What was the outcome?
The antennas were set up, connected, and made operational in less than two full days.
- 12-foot extra large cage
- 1,168 lbs lifting capacity for crew, equipment, and materials
- Cage rotation 2 x 84°
- Side reach up to 106 feet
- Unique "under and up" or "up and over and back" access
- Smooth controlled motions to move close to and around glass and fragile structures
- Jib length 31’6’’
- Parking in tight spaces 8’6’’ wide
Alpha Platforms has helped hundreds of teams like yours
from Case Studies
I had an emergency project on a 140' high voltage tower and needed Alpha Platforms next day. They were so helpful and expedient walking me through the entire process so I was comfortable with the deal. They showed up to my site next day and cut about 2 days off of the project due to the safety, speed and efficiency of their lift and operators. I'll never rent or hire another lift company. I would recommend Alpha platforms for all your high reach needs.
Jon told me that it was a pleasure to work with Alpha Platforms, the crew was skilled and helpful, the equipment was top notch. Our installers appreciated the security of the platform vs working off of a swing stage, it made their job easier and more efficient. From first meeting thru to the end of the work day everything ran as smoothly as it could. City Sign Service, Inc. will definitely be partnering with Alpha Platforms on future projects
We had an exceptional experience with Alpha! They are professionals, great operator team. Overall reliable, recommended will certainly return for my future needs hands down.
My company used alpha lifts to clean a 14 floor building and they were great. Very accommodating, always on time, and will work with you to get the job done safe and sound. The lifts they provide are state of the art and can pretty much reach any low rise building under 250 feet. I’d recommend them to anyone doing window cleaning or facade cleaning, or anything king of height access work!
We wanted to give it a try and see what this boom truck could do. We loved the idea of a wide basket that could reach up to 30 feet and get to the brick wall over the roof. The main reason we loved the truck was how it maneuvered the boom to lower the bricks inside a dumpster, which was located behind the truck. It saved us at least one extra day of work. It all went great.
The project was performed successfully, and we were really glad to have contactless means of reaching the building, as we all know that pipe scaffold might damage the structure, in this case, very very sensitive.
Alpha has the most efficient and leanest site setup time I’ve ever seen. My brother, who is the top climber of our group, first struggled to understand how this cage could go around the tower better than the crane - and when it did the whole 360°, he became a believer. Also, each laborer said how incredibly safe they felt - very different from the small crane basket. We were able to secure and push back the panels in place without the basket ever moving.
That is a fine piece of equipment! And the competent, professional group that goes along with it is just the cherry on top. I really appreciate everything. I'm sure we'll be able to use Alpha again in the future as we get these opportunities. In fact, it will only help our business knowing we have a safe, reliable solution to these over 50‘ height challenges.
It was a pleasure to work with Alpha Platforms, the crew was skilled and helpful, the equipment was top-notch. Our installers appreciated the security of the platform vs working off of a swing stage, it made their job easier and more efficient. From the first meeting thru to the end of the work day everything ran as smoothly as it could. We will definitely be partnering with Alpha Platforms on future projects. Thank you for your help!